Want me to come speak?
Send me a note below!
What do I usually speak about?
- My Writing
- The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- Incarceration and the Death Penalty
NOTE: My talks on any given topic are rooted in personal stories.
I will consider speaking on any topic within my lived experience. To get your imagination going, here are some already-prepared talks and presentations I do:
- Israel-Palestine 101
- I teach a multi-week class, often in churches, on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, starting with the rise of political Zionism and ending at current day. The course includes theology, history, politics, personal storytelling, reconciliation theory, and more.
- Letters from “Apartheid Street”
- Telling stories from the book
- Discussing the work of Christian Peacemaker Teams in Hebron
- The need to challenge the single story
- How to Dismantle an Enemy
- Through personal anecdotes, I explain that in order to dismantle the notion of enemy, we need proximity, curiosity, and humility
- The Confinement of Christ
- Using selections from my prison chaplaincy stories in the appendix of Where the River Bends as well as other personal stories, I discuss the need for Christians to get proximate to prisoners, since that’s where Jesus said we would find him
- The Stories That Might Save Us
- Addresses the current political moment and the need for stories that tell the truth of where we are while also orienting us toward hope
- Ties in the themes of “how to dismantle an enemy”
- Stories from my 2015 international story-gathering project in Israel-Palestine, Northern Ireland, and South Africa
- Instagram pictures available
- Explores the tensions between “justice” and “reconciliation”
- Shares about the remarkable work of Narrative 4 in addressing the “empathy deficit”
- Value of Storytelling Workshop
- Looks at why stories and language matter, how they shape us, why we tell stories, and offers tips for telling better stories.
If you would like me to come speak to your group, here are my standard rates.
- Multi-week class in the Nashville area – $500 per week
- Local talk in Nashville (or within one hour drive of Nashville) – $750, plus gas reimbursement if out of town
- Regional talk (within four hours drive of Nashville) – $1000, plus travel reimbursement for gas, food, and—if needed—housing
- National talk (anywhere more than four hours drive from Nashville) – $1500 base honorarium for overnight trip, plus an additional $500 for each additional night; flights, food, and housing costs should be covered as well
- NOTE: When possible, I prefer for my wife Brittany to accompany me. If you agree to pay for her flight as well, I will be happy to negotiate a reduced honorarium.
- International talk – $1200 per day, plus all trip costs
*I am aware that many groups do not have big budgets, so these rates are negotiable. Please don’t be shy about reaching out, even if it appears you can’t afford the above costs.